Stages of climbing Mt.Everest.
Malini VK - Infobite 17-Apr-2021
Mt.Everest is not just another mountain to underestimate while climbing. Everest is known for its sheer beauty but at the same time it is holding a fearful reputation.
- Even strong and skilled climbers had lost their lives on their way.
- This needs an extensive training physically and mentally.
Climbing the mountain is split into 7 below stages depending on the risk in each stages.
Base camp - 5400 m above sea level, 17700 ft height.
- A stage filled with fear, hope, conflicts, friendship,and all the mixed emotions.
- Climbers can listen to the sound of avalanches and ice fall.
- A place which makes one decide to continue climbing or to go home.
Ice Fall - 5500 m - 6100 m above sea level/ 18000 ft - 20000 ft height.
- A horrific stage where anything can happen. A crevasse might open suddenly, hit by small avalanches, an ice-pinnacle can fall, entire area can collapse.
- A place where one needs to be watchful and have the ropes always clipped. But also ready to unclip fast when hit by avalanche.
Camp 1 - 6100 m - 6400 m above sea level/ 20000 - 21000 ft height.
- Sarcastically named as valley of silence, this place is known for frequent avalanches, snow fall, and deep crevasse.
- Climbers can experience worst headache from crevasse opening and closing sound deep down.
Camp 2 - 6400 m above sea level / 21000 ft height.
- A rocky bed but a stunning place where climbers can have a last decent meal.
- This place can tempt the climbers to roam around but because of the altitude problem it will give breathing trouble.
Camp 3 - 6800 m - 8000 m above sea level/ 22300 ft - 26300 ft height.
- A place with giant icy slopes, named Lhotse wall. Climbers have to hang on the rope with utmost strength.
- Chances of falling down the mountain is high here. Climbing this stage is easy or hard depending on the weather. A dry, cold climate creates blue ice which is hard to climb, but deep snow makes the climb easier.
Camp 4 - 8000 m above sea level/ 26000 ft height.
- A place where the sky bear a strange dark blue color. It makes one to feel the space is very close to where they stand.
- Definitely a scary place because in few hours the final part of adventure starts, which is going to decide life or death. This stage is famously called a 'Death Zone'.
The Summit - 8850 m above sea level/ 29035 ft height.
- The longest climb among all the stages where nobody wants to talk out of fear.
- One has to climb and climb the icy steep part with a hope to see the sunshine.
- When sunlight hits, the first place to land is the South Summit which is the second- highest peak on earth. Climbers have some time to relax and fill oxygen.
- From there it is only a couple of hours to reach the Everest Summit itself!
- The Knife Ridge and Hillary step are the two obstacles on the way. Once these are crossed with the same patience, the rest is history.
- Most accidents happen while coming down.
- There is no time to relax. Capture the moment and start to come down with the same caution and safety.
Any climbers? Please share your experience! or Do share any of your trekking experience!