What is Botox and What it will do to our body?
Divya's Dietu - Health Bites Aug 20, 2019
A deadly poisonous substance, when administered properly can be used cosmetically to treat certain muscular conditions. Botox craze is growing day by day as it is a non-surgical cosmetic treatment.
- Clostridium botulinum, bacteria found naturally in lakes, forests and even in the intestinal tracts of some sea creatures.
- Bacteria is initially inactive and harmless but at certain point it began producing botulinum toxin.
- Botulinum toxin (BTX) is neurotoxic which means it is destructive to the nerve tissues.
- Effects on human body:
- Botulinum toxin when injected in extremely small concentrations works by preventing signals from nerve cells reaching the muscles and paralyzing them.
- Paralyzation reduces fine lines and wrinkles in face or in any parts of the body.
- In other words, Botulinum reduces muscle contraction and helps to hide aging.
- 1gm of Botox could kill over 1 million people. Such destructive powder needs to be carefully administered in quantity. Any infection leads to Botulism (deadly illness).
Apart from facial treatment, Botox can be used to treat excessive sweating, migraine, and other muscle conditions. Though the toxin has some cosmetic benefits, the side effects speak loudly.