What is FWD, RWD ,4WD and AWD?
Malini VK - Infobite May 15, 2019
FWD - Front Wheel Drive
- While driving, engine's power is routed to the front wheels.
- Most of the vehicles are designed with additional component to send power to rear wheels when need arises.
- Manufacturing is cheaper.
- Since engine's power is more at front,it has a better pulling capacity while climbing hills.
- Most passenger vehicles use FWD.
RWD - Rear Wheel Drive
- While driving engine's power is routed to the back wheels.
- Commonly found in pickup trucks,sports car,luxury sedans and heavy duty vehicles.
- pulling capacity is more with heavy load.
- But on a slippery road,it doesn't have a better pulling capacity(Traction).
AWD - All Wheel Drive
- Feeds variable amount of torque to each axle and the driver doesn't control this.
- Great for on-road usage as it send power to the wheels that need the most.
4WD - Four Wheel Drive
- Feeds fixed amount of power to each axle and can be switched on and off by driver.
- Great for off-road and other low traction scenarios like climbing over boulders,crossing deep water.